Sunday, June 6, 2010

The Weightloss Game

Well this is my first post and will be the beginning of a running commentary on my success. You see, this is not an ordinary weight loss battle. Last July when I was pregnant with my beautiful baby girl Callie, I found out I was insulin dependant gestational diabetic. When I discussed the post baby care with my endocrinologist she told me that I had to get my weight down to 135 in order to avoid developing type 2 diabetes. Well, any new mother out there can sympathize that doing anything for yourself can be a battle so losing weight just didn't fit into my new schedule. Needless to say, six months after Callie's birth I was required to do a glucose tolerance test again and guess what.......my sugar levels are high. The doctors are saying it could be related to the hormone levels evening out still but suggested that I do everything possible to lose the weight and they would retest me and we go from there. Great, another sugary orange drink early in the morning. Can't wait.
I currently weigh 172.6lbs and need to get down to 135lbs by mid August when they will retest me again. The whole reason I am blogging this is to hold myself accountable and maybe connect with others in similar positions. The plan is to follow the diabetic diet (which I got really good at during my pregnancy) and plenty of walks with the baby and our dog Kuma (who also happens to need to lose 10lbs). Poor Kuma also got the brunt of our scheduling everything around the new addition as he used to get walked for an hour everyday without fail until Callie arrived. Now we are lucky to get out twice a week. All that is about to change. My husband is also in for a drastic change in diet as there will no longer be crap hanging around the house and all meals will be very low in fat and high in protein.
Wish us all luck and I will be back very soon with progress reports.

4 comments:

  1. RIP carbs. You will be missed...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry babe, can't have them in the house or all hell will break loose:P

    ReplyDelete
  3. I came over from your hubby's blog-he's one of my faves-and I just wanted you to know there's a really loud, heavily mascaraed woman in Texas cheering you on!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just posted a low carb dinner idea! I hear you; I need to lose a few, due to thyroid going cuckoo! Enjoy your wonderful family!

    ReplyDelete